Thursday, July 30, 2015

Biblical Horizons, 2015

Last week, July 20-24th, Mom and I had the privilege to attend the Biblical Horizons conference in Valparaiso Florida. It was a week long event that started at 8:30 in the morning and concluded at 8:30 in the evening after a long break during the afternoon. 

Our esteemed speakers this year were; Jeff Meyers, Uri Brito, Richard Bledsoe, Peter Leithart, and James Jordon

The topics considered this year were:

The Book of Joshua by James B. Jordon
Wealth Management in the Gospel According to St. Luke by Jeffrey J. Meyers
End of the End: Orientation to Revelation by Peter J. Leithart
The Christian Counseling Movement by Uri Brito
A look into psychiatric drugs based on experiences as a chaplain at his local hospital by Richard Bledsoe (This one didn't have a title so this is the best I could come up with)

I had a good time, and although the lectures were a little beyond me I did manage to glean some good counsel and being exposed to new ideas is almost always a good thing. I met new people and had good conversations in addition to spending some quality time with my mother. I learned new music as well at the nightly Vespers services both by singing and, although it wasn't planned, playing the music because their original pianist had to leave town suddenly. We ate lunches with people, spent time at the beach, did a little shopping, and stayed late in the evenings at the fellowships/meals/parties afterwards.

Although it might not be exactly descriptive of the conference itself, here are some pictures of our adventures during our breaks in the afternoons.
 

 There were a lot of interesting sights around the church we were meeting in. 


 
Endless possibilities just emanate from this... like a star!

Feeling wistful...

 
Symmetry has been catching my eye lately, this frame just makes me so curios! Those doors... "Through the Looking Glass"...
 
Hi! Where am I?
 
Not quite centered...
 
I could never quite make up my mind. Is this neighboring church building still in use or not?
 On Wednesday we went to the beach.

I was trying to take a secret-under-cover-ninja picture but Mom found out and made me laugh and ruined my covert operation.

My friend Bethany and I!

Mrs. Patty and Mrs. Smith eat their lunch.


At first my foot was right in her face... 

 
Getting ready to go snorkeling!
 
 

Here's the underside of the bridge. I thought the rust spots looked interesting. Whenever large vehicles went across I could feel the whole structure rumble.


One morning there was a downpour. Later it turned into a gentle sprinkle. The whole world turned golden with the soft light of the weepy sun peeping hopefully through the clouds. I'm not sure if it shows up very well in the picture but in person it was so beautiful that I laughed and clapped my hands and jumped up and down on the wet sidewalk.
 
I love Doctor Who. I just had to take a picture when I saw this after lunch one day. Last night Mom told me that there is a Doctor Who movie coming out. I reacted in much the same way as I did when the earth was filled with golden glory. Except I went even further and jumped around in circles....
 At lunch on the last day iced coffees were passed around and we were told to describe them in the most BH (Biblical Horizons) style possible. I tasted mine and found the flavors a bit confusing. It was good, had a familiar yet foreign taste to it and at the end a bite that kind of sealed the whole deal. I am sure it was cayenne pepper. I wrote a haiku (5-7-5) about it and won this T-shirt. There were three other winners who got their own 38th Annual Boggy Bayou Mullet Festival shirt as well.
A sweet comfort then
Confusion overcomes me
A sting that relieves
 
I am glad I had the opportunity to go this year. I look forward to 2016!

3 comments:

  1. I am interested in chanting the Psalms. I found article 61 How to Chant Psalms. It had the example of Psalm 90. It would be helpful to hear that psalm chanted. Does anyone have an audio of Psalm 90 done by Biblical Horizons or anything else that might be helpful? randytripp68@yahoo.com Thank you, Randy Tripp 12/13/2015

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Randy, sorry for the slow response time. I don't know of anything off the top of my head but I know where I can find out. I will get back to you as soon as I can. Blessings to you, and Merry Christmas!

      Delete
    2. Hi Randy, it has been a very long time since you posted this comment! I am sorry that I have not been more helpful. This blog is a personal project on mine and when life gets busy, (as it often does) this is the first thing that gets set aside.

      HOWEVER. I finally have something for you! I don't have any recording of Psalm 90 specifically but here is something similar you might be interested in. Our church (Providence Church, Pensacola FL CREC) has a Periscope account where we live feed our regular Sunday services and our Vesper services on the first Wednesday of every month. Additionally we have Vespers every Wednesday during the Advent and Lenten seasons. Our Vespers service is where we do the more chant-like singing. The account is called ProvidenceChurch I am not sure how long the services stay up after it is no longer live. Try tuning in around 6 o'clock on Wednesday night to check it out! :)

      Again, you have my apologies for not being a more reliable source. I hope you are doing well, Peace!

      Delete

Please share your thoughts, it makes things interesting around here! ;)