Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Cinderella

I know I talk a lot about the ways my life has gone wrong, and it may be easy to get the idea that my life was nothing but torture for me, but there were many many good times that I haven't written about yet. It's not that I don't want to its just that the scary parts stand out more than the times that I smiled I guess. Anyways, rest assured, there was a time when I was a very happy little girl and that time is not at all lost upon me.

In many ways I grew up with a normal American childhood. I learned to ride my bike, I was involved with sports from a young age, swimming, baseball, basketball etc. I shared a room with my sister and played Barbies, and of course watched cartoons in the mornings. I loved Mickey Mouse and his friends, and enjoyed watching other classics like the Pink Panther, Bugs Bunny, Road Runner, Flintstone's, The Jetson's and Under Dog. Aside from cartoons we watched movies too. We watched old live action movies, CGI, claymations... but honestly, the ones I remember the most would have to be the Disney animations.

One movie Disney is famous for is Cinderella. I don't really know why since they didn't do a particularly good job, but you will have to admit, almost every little girl you will meet will have watched Disney's Cinderella. I of course watched that Cinderella movie too but you may be surprised to know that my fairy tale education did not stop with one multi-million dollar company's interpretation of said stories. Mom bought different versions of different fairytales and we watched them all. We had books too of course (like Grimm's) but I remember the movies the most. My absolute favorite fairytale movie was one live action Cinderella movie where the step sisters were hideous, cruel, pale red heads and Cinderella was a breathtakingly gorgeous black girl with a beautiful, vivid, dazzling blue dress. I remember watching that movie twice over in the same night one time! I loved it so much and I loved her. It's been years since I have watched that version of Cinderella. I have no idea who the actor was or what the name of the movie was. Even better, one time my parents took me to see a Cinderella play!


At this point it may not even need to be said, but Cinderella is my favorite fairy tale of all - So when I heard there was a new Cinderella movie coming out in theatres I was set on watching it. Unfortunately I kept putting it off telling myself to be responsible and to focus on my work and all that jazz. Then my sister was talking with some girls from church and they decided they wanted to go see Cinderella. They would need someone to drive them of course so I was more than happy to volunteer my services.

I don't know where he got this picture from, but I got it from him.
https://blogs.ancientfaith.com/roadsfromemmaus/2015/03/23/happily-ever-after-yes-really-movie-review-cinderella-2015/
Also, I didn't realize Disney was the one who made this movie util I went searching for this picture. ;)

We went a week or more ago and let me tell you, if you ever watched Cinderella as a little girl, you are going to love this one. I hardly ever talk in movies but I was so giddy about this one that I couldn't keep my excitement to myself. I would sigh in delight or cringe with dread when something bad was about to happen, I would whisper my predictions for what was going to happen next and tell my seat mate, "Oh! I remember this!!" I'm telling you, If I was not a grown girl I think I would have went to the theatre wearing a blue ball gown just like the little girls who were sitting with their mothers in front of me were wearing. This movie brought back everything from my favorite Cinderella movie of my childhood. It had the suspense, and the sorrow. The hope, wonder, the delight, and a handsome prince that never gave up on his love.

This movie gave me the chills. I felt just like a little girl again, supremely happy in the good fortune of kind Cinderella, and wishing for a prince of my own. I don't know what it is about fairytales but there is something to a good old fashioned story with a picture perfect ending.

Maybe fairytales are a picture of our salvation. Maybe fairytales are redemption stories.

Then again, some fairy tales are pretty horrid... either way one thing's for sure, this new Cinderella story is the one my (future) girls are going to grow up watching. This one and perhaps the old one from when I was quite young. That is, if I can ever get my hands on it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts, it makes things interesting around here! ;)