Monday, June 9, 2014

Musical Monday; Come, Holy Ghost, Our Souls Inspire

Because yesterday was Pentecost here is a video of my favorite Pentecost hymn. It too, like many of the hymns I play, has origins that date way back. The hymnal says this was based on the song Veni, Creator Spritus, meaning "Come Creator Spirit". It is believed to be written by a man named Rhabanus Maurus in the 9th century.



Lyrics
Come, Holy Ghost, our souls inspire,
And lighten with celestial fire;
Thou the anointing Spirit art,
Who dost Thy sev'nfold gifts impart.


Thou blessed unction from above
Is comfort, life, and fire of love.
Enable with perpetual light
The dullness of our blinded sight.

Anoint and cheer our soiled face
With the abundance of Thy grace.
Keep far our foes; give peace at home;
Where Thou art guide, no ill can come.

Teach us to know the Father, Son,
And Thee, of Both, to be but One;
That through the ages all along
This may be our endless song:

Praise to Thy eternal merit,
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Amen.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

So last Thursday I went with my friend to downtown Pensacola for Music in the Park, an ongoing event which is held on that day the entire summer. This week the featured band was Heritage Band. I fell in love with them. I adore the saxophone player! He had me smiling from ear to ear and I couldn't take my eyes off him. He also played the keyboard which endeared him to my heart doubly. So during the break I went up to buy one of their cd's and I asked which one had more saxophone on it and the guy said neither! He had only joined the last Spring right after they came out with their second album. I still bought the disc and when I put it in my player the other day it wasn't the same. I still like it, but the saxophone and the keys do so much for the music!

Saturday I went blueberry picking with Savannah, Mom and Jubal. It was a short drive to the farm so we were able to get back home before lunch. Here are some pictures from blueberry picking.




Mama's shirt matches the berries!


Sunday, as I mentioned before was Pentecost. Here are a few pictures from then.

I love baptisms!


After church the entire church had a feast at one of family's home. There was lots of room to roam outside, and plenty of room to relax inside. Lots, of food, lots of yummy drinks (iced coffee, sweet tea anyone?). We had a huge blowup bouncy house water slide. Some folks went fishing in the pond, some people kicked around the soccer ball, or dribbled the basket ball. All in all there was plenty of food, plenty of people, and plenty of fun.







Today my little brother Levi left for Alaska. He'll be gone until October this year. First he does commercial salmon fishing (like last year) for about six weeks, then work doing asphalt in Arizona for a bit and then he heads to California for a alternative building and permaculture class. I'm going to miss him!

Until next week then, peace!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the posts! It looks like red is a popular color to wear at your church. Is this planned? Say hello to the family for us.

    Mrs. M and K from Rayville

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey y'all! I will be sure to tell them you stopped by the blog. Yes the red was planned. Lots of churches will wear red on Pentecost Sunday. I think it's pretty neat. :)

      Delete

Please share your thoughts, it makes things interesting around here! ;)