Sunday, March 31, 2013

Happy Easter!

Today is Resurrection Day!


First here are a few Facebook posts collected over the season and then I will tell you about today.

March 21, 2013

One of my favorite church seasons is upon us! Palm Sunday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Holy Saturday, (although Holy Saturday I have never done anything special on, but it is part of the calendar) Resurrection Day, and Ascention Sunday! A few years back I attended my first Good Friday Service. It made a huge difference on what I thought about Passion Week. I had grown up with the typical Sunday school story of Easter and then after class teachers and students would talk about Easter egg hunts. After this service the whole idea and thought process about this time of year changed.

Actually I think this is my favorite church season. Palm Sunday is my particular favorite out of the whole bunch.

Sunday can't get here fast enough! (We are also joining that day as well. Two reasons!)



Palm Sunday

Well "That was easy." We are now members of Providence Church in Pensacola Florida. Funny how things that seem like such a big change can be done and over with in just a few minutes. Now... Yipee!!

Maundy Thursday

Definetly listen to today's sermon.

Maundy Thursday Meditation
______________________
There was Palm Sunday, now it is Maundy Thursday. I love celebrating this season according to the calendar of the church. The story is told so much more meaningfully in my opinion. I don't like to skip ahead to Easter - although Resurrection Day is one of my favorites!
Good Friday
"Ah, holy Jesus, how hast Thou offended,
That man to judge Thee hath in hate pretended?
By foes derided, by Thine own rejected,
O most afflicted.

Who was the guilty? Who brought this upon Thee?
Alas, my treason, Jesus, hath undone Thee.
'Twas I, Lord Jesus, I it was denied Thee:
I crucified Thee.

Lo, the Good Shepherd for the sheep is offered;
The slave hath sinned, and the Son hath suffered:
For man's atonement, while he nothing heedeth.
God intercedeth.

For me, kind Jesus was Thine incarnation,
Thy mortal sorrow, and Thy life's oblation:
Thy death of anguish and Thy bitter passion,
For my salvation.

Therefore, kind Jesus, since I cannot pay Thee,
I do adore Thee, and I will ever pray Thee:
Think on Thy pity and Thy love unswerving,
Not my deserving."

Last night Levi and I took a run to the grocery store and picked up a few key ingredients for Mom. We also picked out the yellow and purple flowers. I added some extra from around the yard and there we have our Easter flowers.
 
Resurrection Sunday
(Posted on Holy Saturday) Happy Easter everyone! I am looking forward to celebrating the victory of our Lord on Resurrection Day tomorrow! We're going to church extra early to help prepare breakfast. The whole church will begin their day together at breakfast and then we will begin worship. Afterwards a family from church is coming over for a feast.

I am also looking forward to everyone's bright clothing. I like to compare it to the somber colors on Good Friday. From mourning to celebration. From guilt to forgiveness. From the night of sin and sorrow to the dawn of victory! There is no better way to communicate joyous celebration than by the putting on of jewels and bright colors, beautiful smiles and hearty laughs.

Resurrection Day is truly a time to party!
__________________________

 
We've had a wonderful day. Jesus is risen! Resurrection Day should be one of the most celebrated holidays ever. Our Easter Feast was wonderful - a result of the wonderful company we had to go along with it! Happy Easter everyone! May your days be filled with peace as you rest in the promise of the risen Lord. Alleluia!
_________________________

 
Oh! I was surprised to find out that it doesn't end here. There are forty days left to the Easter Season!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That's it for Facebook.

Now, let me tell you how we celebrated Resurrection Day today.

The night before, on Holy Saturday, we spent a lot of time preparing the meal for the next day. As we went about out preparations one thing I kept thinking about was this. That Jesus' disciples had no idea what was coming. We know the whole story and were looking forward to celebration tomorrow. Jesus' dearest friends were, as I imagine, were confused and not knowing what the point in life was anymore. Their Lord, Jesus, was dead. He was laid in a tomb, the stone rolled over; never to be seen by daylight again. Shut into eternal darkness just like any other mortal. Why?

And then, imagine what a surprise! What a shock, what joy! When the women went to the tomb they found it empty and the angels asked, "Why do you seek the living among the dead?" And Peter, he didn't dare believe it until he had seen the empty grave and the clothing lying in the dust.

What could that have been like? I tremble on the inside to think of it.

Well the next day on Sunday we went early to help get breakfast ready. The whole church would begin their day together with a meal. As we drove by the park we saw a group of people underneath the pavilion. The morning was grey and cold, the fog surrounded the people. A young man gestured enthusiastically and I could imagine the total stillness of the morning swallowing his words as he paused. The gospel. It made the park holy. The green of the grass behind him faded into the fog and the river flowed quietly by beyond that. What a extraordinary God we have!

Once we got there I watched Jubal and practised on the piano a bit. I was to play the prelude today with Mr. Gregg and I wanted to see how the piano would feel. Later Bethany and I arranged the cups for the juice and milk into a cross, but one of the arms and part of the bottom were taken away and put next to the coffee pot. Dad, my brother, and Jerry fried bacon at one table and another table was busy frying bacon as well. Dad later told us that as pastor Uri walked into the building he announced to them, "That's real kingdom work there brothers!" I can see the grin on his face and the laugh in his eyes now.

At eight fifteen Scripture was read, a song was sung, and the food blessed. Pancakes and bacon galore! Juice and milk coming out of our ears! Coffee and sweet tea, bananas and grapes. There was plenty for everyone, leftovers even.

At nine-fifteen Mr. Gregg and I went into the music room and practised. He plays the coronet and does a fine job of it. I was impressed with his fan fare. It sounded very kingly. Just perfect on Easter Sunday for "Now let the Vault of Heaven Resound" At nine o'clock church started. I haven't played piano for church for a while and especially not one this big before. I wasn't nervous a bit - until I had finished and had sat back down. Then I had a severe attack of butterflies, I had so many in my stomach I thought for sure I would be lifted off of my seat any second and float into the air. Thankfully I was soon distracted as we sang the first song.

Here is one of them we sang:

Christ Jesus Lay in Death's Strong Bands

Christ Jesus lay in death's strong bands, For our offenses given;
But now at God's right hand he stands And brings us life from heaven;
Therefore let us joyful be And sing to God right thankfully
Loud songs of hallelujah. Hallelujah!

It was a strange and dreadful strife When Life and Death contended;
The victory remained with Life, The reign of Death was ended;
Holy Scripture plainly saith That Death is swallowed up by Death,
His sting is lost forever. Hallelujah!

Here the true Paschal Lamb we see, Whom God so freely gave us;
He died on the accursed tree- So strong his love!- to save us.
See, His blood doth mark our door; Faith points to it, Death passes o'er,
And Satan cannot harm us. Hallelujah!

So let us keep the festival Whereto the Lord invites us;
Christ is Himself the Joy of all, The Sun that warms and lights us.
By His grace He doth impart Eternal sunshine to the heart;
The night of sin is ended. Hallelujah!

Then let us feast this joyful day On Christ, the bread of heaven;
The word of grace has purged away The old and evil leaven.
Christ alone our souls will feed, He is our meat and drink indeed;
Faith lives upon no other. Hallelujah!
~~~~~~~~~~~
After church our friends followed behind us in their van and we drove to our house. There family was in town so they came a long as well. They are very nice folks. All we had to do was warm everything up, all the work had been done the day before.

 
Our delightful guests.

When it was ready all fourteen of us crammed around our very large table for a hearty Easter Sunday Feast. The table was very nice with the flowers and place mats although the flowers were moved away to make more room. There was ham, sweet potato souffle, green beans (done up the good way), rolls, cranberry and orange sauce, and salad. For drink we had sweet tea and a lemon balm tea. Desert was brownies, a gluten-free kind and a gluten-filled variety as well. When we were finished we were all stuffed as fat as a Christmas turkey!



When it came time for our company to leave we sent them all home with extra rolls and brownies.

Later when our neighbors came home we brought over a portion from our meal. Brownies, rolls, and cranberry sauce.

What a great way to celebrate Christ's victory over death! What a day to remember our salvation!

1 comment:

  1. A wonderful description of the past week and Easter Sunday. I enjoy reading about things from your perspective.

    Mama

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts, it makes things interesting around here! ;)