Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Dinner Time Shakshuka: Recipe

A while back someone shared a link on Facebook to a recipe for Shakshuka. It is a breakfast dish from Isreal and it is delicious! I have made it several times since then and tonight I made it for supper. I usually do make it for breakfast.

Here I'll show you how I made a dinner version. As these are very general directions you should go check out the original one first at The Shiksa in the Kitchen.
This isn't the best picture, but you can see what it is like. There is an egg missing at the bottom. I forgot to take a picture before I took out the two-year-old's portion to cool.

First in a pan I fried onion, bell pepper, sweet potato, crushed red pepper, garlic, and purple cabbage.


The purple cabbage is actually some sauerkraut that was a little too salty. I have been mixing it in to anything I can and I love how it brightens everything up.
When the sweet potatoes were soft I added some kielbasa sausage and some black beans and red beans mixed. They were left over from a previous meal so I just added it in. I would have liked to put the sausage in to saute for longer but it was frozen and I forgot about it until later.

I let that saute for a few minutes then added a small two ounce can of tomato paste and some spaghetti sauce.
 
For seasonings I used chili powder, paprika, pepper, and cumin.
 
 

I let it cook for a while till it got nice and hot. Then I added some frozen bread pieces. Any bread that is starting to get stale I cut up into chunks and put in the freezer to save up for bread pudding. I am not sure we will have bread pudding any time soon if I keep using my bread pieces for shakshuka.

Visit Skiksa to see why I always add bread.
There, that light colored piece there is bread.

After the bread is mixed in I crack the eggs on top.


Then cover, turn down heat and cook for about fifteen minutes. I like my eggs a little hard and this is how long I cook them. If you like runnier eggs then cook for less.

And that's it! :)


It is one of our family's new favorites.

Again, go take a look at The Shiksa in the Kitchen for the original recipe. And much prettier pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts, it makes things interesting around here! ;)