Sunday, February 17, 2013

Camellia Festival: What I Thought

Today we met my Grandma at the Baldwin Heritage Museum in Elberta. There was a Camellia Festival and there were lots of interesting things to look at. They had a sugar cane mill and we got to see how it worked and crush some ourselves. The juice that came out was sweet and tasted really good! :)

One of the many exhibits in the museum. This is for making seed potatoes.

At the festival there were mainly older people, about my grandma's age maybe a little older maybe a little younger. There were only six people who were not in my family that were sixteen or younger.
There were so many interesting things to look at! I wondered around and around the little museum looking at the same things over and over again. As I absorbed all of this history I overheard several conversations. Mainly folks were saying how they remembered these things or "I used to have one of those!" all were reminiscing about the "good old days" One man was looking at a wood stove with his pal. He said, "My mom used to have one of those up until I was about five or six when my dad finally broke down and bought her an electric one." Every time someone started talking I would quickly step over there and (okay I guess I never "overheard" anything) eagerly listen to what they had to say. They all knew I was listening and sometimes they would turn to me as they spoke. Most of the time all they had to say was wonderful but more than twice they would talk about how my generation doesn't appreciate any of this anymore.

They would bewail the laziness or forgetfulness of my generation (and probably my parents as well), or our pridefullness. Looking at those wrinkled faces, hearing the disappointment in their voice - it truly hurt to hear them say something that is so true about the majority of my generation. Oh yes, our failure has a lot to do with their lack of training us properly, but that does not mean that we are off the hook. My generation is responsible for our own actions. Have we really failed so completely? Is there really no hope as these men and women seem to believe?

These old men, their wives - they are here for us to learn from. We need to stop ignoring them and start listening to what they have to say. Maybe some may not say much; maybe that is because they are so used to being ignored or being shrugged off for so long that they have stopped trying.

One lady asked me, "Did you have a doll house like this?" I said, "No but I would have loved to have one." She looked grim and nodded her head. I continued, "All I ever had was those plastic Barbie houses," "Uhuh" "and I did have one little house that came with my porcelain doll" She ignored me and sat back down. Why have we given these people a reason to ignore us and discount what we say? It seemed to me that she was thinking that I was just another one of those spoiled teenagers. Why have we given a cause for this to be a reasonable supposition?

The whole time I was there I felt as if either I was being pitied or I was being judged. I am not saying that I think they should have been doing this but it did make me think, "Why is there even a reason for it in the first place?" Rarely are people ever cross for no reason except of course if you are Mr. Scrooge. And then even he had a reason.

Listening to these people voice their thoughts I learned two things. One: That we need to reform. That my generation needs to straighten up. Two: We need to be sure to pass our believes and wisdom on to our future children so that this doesn't repeat fifty or sixty years from now.
They have failed us, but we have also failed them. Let's not repeat the cycle.

5 comments:

  1. What kind of a dollhouse was it? I thought new and old dollouses were the same except wood and then plastic.
    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen many like this one in museums before. They are two story, made out of wood, and very detailed. Real little rugs, wall paper on the walls, pictures hangingon the walls. Little dishes, everything is REAl except minurature.

    This one was not exactly like that though. This one was the same kind of building and everything, real wallpaper... but it didn't have the old fasioned furnishings togo with it like other ones I have seen. This one had typical plastic doll house furnurature like you and I played with. It is a smaller museum, and I suppose they will keep their eyes open for the furnishings but it was still really cool and reminded me of all the other ones I have seen that are absolutely GORGEOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine and I suspect yours were made in plastic molds and the beds have plastic pillows with little indents for the heads. The pictures on walls are stickers. That kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see what you mean. My sisters are building one of the "real" ones. So far they have it constructed and painted. They are working on puting the roof down. They are having a lot of fun with it and I might have to join in as well!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts, it makes things interesting around here! ;)