Sunday, March 4, 2012

Seeing Through New Eyes

I was doing my eye wash the other day and I was thinking about some things.

Before I got my glasses I noticed acutely what others could see and what I could not. I complained, mostly to myself but sometimes I voiced my thoughts. Well I recently got my glasses and contacts.



When Dad and I were in the glasses store I remember trembling with excitement that now we were going to fix it. I was going to be able to see what others can. I sat in that big strange chair and the eye doctor put different slides of glass into the view finder. Things became clearer and clearer. I continued to tremble.


After they had my prescription I was able to get contacts the same day. I was shown how to put them in. Oh my goodness I could hardly keep myself from laughing with joy. I could see things that I was never able to see before! Everything was clear. It was crisp. I thanked God over and over that day. I gazed around the room looking at every single little detail. Detail I had never been able to see before. The texture of the carpet, the lettering on the signs, the expression on the face of a person on the other side of the room. It was amazing! I got a small picture of the joy the blind man must have felt when Jesus restored his sight.

Then I got to pick out my glasses. We would pick them up next week. I looked at display shelves full of every style glasses imaginable. Gold ones, black ones, big grandma round ones, small rectangular professional ones, fancy glasses,  plain glasses, cheap glasses, expensive glasses. I don't know how I possibly could have decided. I picked out one pair of gold rimed ones (not real gold) with rounded eyes but not a big circle. The other pair I picked was my sunglasses. Sleek black rimmed ones rectangular but not skinny.

We payed for it and then we went outside. Wide eyed astonishment! The texture of the concrete parking lot! Each individual pebble in the flower bed. The signs of the buildings across the street! I could read them! And oh my goodness the leaves on the tree. Each and every individual leaf fluttered in the breeze. Separately and not a mass of indistinguishable green. I tried to act normal when we got back in the truck but my family could tell it was different. "Did you get your contacts?" They asked me. Yes I did. "Are you wearing them?" Yes I am. I could not get enough of seeing that day. I looked at everything.

Do you notise the deatail? How clear it is? The texture? (I made all the pictures in this post larger than usual so you can see it better. On computer screens things aren't as good, they're alwas better in person.)

Then later that week we went hiking. I never imagined I would be able to see so much detail. In a rock. It was beautiful. I even saw some stars. Not fuzzy spots of light but brilliant clear points! The sky was still orange with city lights, even where we were in the mountains. I am still waiting to see the sky at our property. I remember looking up at the stars and wondering at their beauty. The stars filled the sky, brilliant balls of light everywhere against a backdrop of black as pitch sky. That was before I had glasses. Now when we get back the first night I am going to look at those stars and not see silver balls glowing, but clear points of light, like the end of a crystal. Oh how glorious that will be. I can hardly wait.



Isn't this beautiful?
Now in the morning I put my glasses on. Sometimes forget until I try to read the time on the clock hanging on the kitchen wall. I sit at the table about six feet away. I cannot read it. I go and put my glasses on. I can see the rest of the day and take no more notice of my glasses, I may occasionally push them further up the bridge of my nose because they have fallen down. But that is an automatic response. Or I might wear my contacts, no pushing there. I take no notice. I take it for granted.


What happened to my inexpressible joy that first day? What happened to my fascination with the rocky mountain side on our hiking trip? What happened to my delight over the parking lot? What about my new found love of reading signs across the street? What of thankfulness from the bottom of my heart towards God that day?

I take it for granted. I am selfish. Oh would that God would teach me that kind of thankfulness that I felt that first day for every new day! For every little detail, for the gift of 20/20 vision. For the beauty of his creation found in the dew drops of the spider webs, the beauty of his creation found in the faces of people on the other side of the room. Do you know how beautiful that is? To be able to absolutely know who it is that is walking towards you and not have a shadow of a doubt of their identity. You can tell who they are not just because of their body shape or their walk but because you can see their faces. It is a wonderful thing! A most beautiful thing! No more awkward gazes as you try to reassure yourself that the person that is walking towards you is really who you think it is.


Can you see our faces? Can you tell we're smiling? Without my
glasses I can't see that. Beside the fact that we're obviously
posing I can't tell if we're smiling or not.
Let us remember to thank God every day. For that warm cup of coffee, the sun rising on the horizon, for fuzzy socks, smiles and laughs. Thank him for your vision, for your hearing. Some people live the entire lives without ever experiencing it. How can God bless us so? Bless us with these wonderful things?



Psalm 107:1
O give thanks unto to the LORD, for he is good: for his mercy endureth forever.

Psalm 8:3-4

When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained; What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

Oh LORD, our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts, it makes things interesting around here! ;)