Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Merry Christmas!

Well it seems as if everyone has something to say about their Christmas this year and I am not one to be left out. This Christmas was, not surprisingly, warm - ish. Here in the desert things don't tend to get very cool, a light jacket has served all my needs this season. We went with my grandparent to their church a few miles down the road. They had a Christmas program with songs and scripture readings. After it was over I just couldn't keep my hands off of the piano any longer, (I hadn't played for about two weeks) and played... not quite to my hearts content, for we soon left for home.

Though I am not so fond of the materialistic side of Christmas I did enjoy the presents. :)

I had no idea we would receive so many gifts but the first time I walked into the house I couldn't help but notice them. There's no stopping my grandmother. :) The presents inside of the boots are our traditional gifts from my parents, our very own carton of eggnog. Dad got one too, dairy free even, Silk Nog is what it's called. You should have seen his face when he saw it. :)


Self timers are a great feature on cameras. Just sayin'.

All five children with their stockings. The baby's favorites were the bows, wrapping paper, and boxes. Grandma gave all of us toothbrushes and floss... Is she trying to tell us something??

Another family tradition is sausage, cheese, and crackers. We found blocks of cheese in some stockings, sausage, in others, and the rest had crackers. All put together they made a nice little snack for all of us to enjoy while the feast was being prepared.

Yes another Dad-friendly holiday must be tackled. Here I am stirring the Vegan mushroom soup base for the green bean casserole.
Grandma washing the "Oh my goodness that is so big!" blender. (Her words by the way.)


And the conductor for the preparation of our feast, Mom, pouring the now-finished Vegan mushroom soup over the green beans.

Whilst we ladies prepare the food, Dad works on fixing my keyboard.

The table all set out. We had mashed potatoes, sweet potato souffle, savory sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, ham, rolls two different kinds of gravy, red eyed and regular and then fresh cranberry and orange salad. We didn't even get to the pies because by that time we were all quite satisfied.

As you can see, I didn't finish everything on my plate.

And so the best part of my Christmas was the fine meal and the Christmas carols we sung, (Yes, Dad got my keyboard fixed.) though not many of them because it was getting late by that time. Laughing at Grandmas crazy antics as we played poker with real chips, and an official poker card table. (She is really no good at poker, and she definitely does not have anything even resembling a poker face, or mouth for that matter.)

As for the presents they were fun but not as good as the time we spent together, we had lots of laughs,  "No thank you, my nutritional requirements have been satisfied." Dad's crazy Santa pajamas, his excitement over his dairy-free egg nog. The baby screaming and laughing at the top of his lungs while he shook the wrapping paper in the air wearing a bow for a hat. Yes we had fun times, and I got some cool things for my hope chest. (canning jar water bath, hot pads, and a full set of silverware for twelve) And let's not forget my favorite candy bar, Almond Joy. I got an entire bag all to myself! Here's to hoping they will last me at least a little while longer yet. Merry Christmas all y'all out there!





1 comment:

  1. Please note I was not trying to sound "good" or "above" Christmas with the sentence "Though I am not fond of the matialistic side of Christmas..." I simply mean that I like the focus to be on Christ and God's gift to man through the birth of his son. I enjoy regular Christmas traditions, decorations, eggnog, stockings, carols, food, the Christmas story cookies; I just don't like to lose focus of why we celebrate Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts, it makes things interesting around here! ;)