Sunday, October 30, 2011

Working At Love



Besides being an emotion love is also an action.
1 Corinthians 13:1-8

First Paul tells you how important love is.
"1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. 2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing."


He is saying if he could do any great and wonderful thing it would be no good, completely useless, if he didn't have love. "Have love", he is about to tell you what that love is.


Okay here are the next versus, now he will tell you what love is.
"4 Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; 5 does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; 6 does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; 7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
8 Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away."

Now, read each one of those by themselves separately and think about them. Those are all things you do, you have to actively work on them, they are actions! Do you know how hard it is to "endure all things", to try and not get mad at somebody or something? It is very hard, it's work! Love is more than an emotion it is also an action!

Now, why is this so important?

Matthew 22:39 "And the second like is like it: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.'"

Matthew 7:12 "Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also unto them, for this is the Law and the Prophets."

Throughout the Bible it stresses the importance of treating others fairly and kindly. I have only given you a few versus. Now, you see that mans duty is to be kind and loving to others and I've also shown a biblical definition of love.

I myself have tried to put this love into action on a daily basis. It is impossible  to do it by yourself. I once held on to my hatred for someone, I was bitter towards this person. I was miserable in my hatred. One year I was sent to the Wilds camp in North Carolina. On the very last day a sermon was preached in the evening, that sermon changed my life. I started to try to let go of my bitterness. I tried to put this biblical love into practise, though I did not have it all thought out in my head this principle was still there. There were times when I cried, I despaired, I couldn't do it! "God, help me to love ----- again! I can't do it myself. Lord take away my bitterness." The Lord, my Saviour, gave me the strength I needed, he took my bitterness away and replaced it with love.


~A little study I did on biblical love for a friend, I thought it would be a good blog post too. (I've changed it some so everybody can see it.)~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts, it makes things interesting around here! ;)